1.5kg Ernest Green & Sons Corned Silverside
1 brown onion, cut into 4
2 cups white wine vinegar
6 bay leaves
6 cloves garlic
1 tbsp peppercorns
For the Mac’n’Cheese
300g Macaroni pasta
150g grated Cheddar cheese
1 bunch chopped parsley
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt & pepper for seasoning
For the Lasagne
1-2 large eggplant, cut lengthways into 12 x 1 cm slices
400ml jar tomato & basil pasta sauce
200g grated mozzarella cheese
- Remove the silverside from the bag and rinse under cold water. Add to a large stainless-steel pan with 5L of cold water and bring to a gentle simmer. With a ladle skim any froth from the surface and reduce to a simmer.
- Add the vinegar, bay leaves, garlic & peppercorns and simmer until tender, approx. 2 hours. Remove from the pot and allow to cool & thinly slice.
- Lay the eggplant on to baking trays lined with paper, brush with olive oil and bake in a 200c oven for 8 – 10 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
- For the mac’n’cheese – cook and drain the pasta per packet instructions. Melt the butter in a saucepan, and over a low heat add flour and stir with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly until smooth. Simmer for 2 more minutes, then stir in cheese, parsley and mustard. Fold through cooked pasta, season with salt & pepper.
- To assemble the lasagna, arrange a layer of eggplant on the base of a large deep baking dish. Spread a layer of pasta sauce evenly over top. Next layer a thick layer of sliced. corned beef. Top with a layer of macaroni & cheese. Repeat the process finishing with a layer of eggplant on top. Top with a thin spread of pasta sauce & mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 160c for approximately 40 minutes until golden on top.
Cooking Time: 3hrs | Prep Time: 1 hr 30 min